11 Jun 2012

Getting A Woody for My Woodies!

DSC_0041

I knew I would raise more than a few eyebrows with the title of this post! For those of a true gardening bent, woodies  most often refers to trees and shrubs! As for the first woody….. lets leave that up to the collective imagination shall we?

I was worried that Abies koreana ‘Horstmann’s Silberlocke’ was losing its silvery edge but upon closer examination of its newest growth, I see where I have nothing to worry about.

DSC_0028Horstmann’s other namesake, Larix decidua ‘Horstmann’s Recurva’ has finally been given the support that it needs in order to accentuate its truly recurving, twisted growth habit. Down the road I would love to espalier it to the side of the garage, but that would mean I would have to reside here until I died……. perhaps not!

DSC_0033Not sure if this photo conveys the overwhelming number of unopened flower buds that are literally smothering my Deutzia x. ‘Magicien.’ Here is what the opened flowers look like:

DSC_0029DSC_0032  Is it any wonder that it is my favourite within the genus? When it comes to shrubs, nothing comes close to the beauty of Cercidiphyllum japonicum ‘Rotfuchs’ – especially its rich deep purple infused new growth. The fact that it smells like cotton candy just before the foliage falls takes it to the level of truly sublime!

DSC_0037DSC_0036 A bit of late day sun adds drama to the spent flower heads of Viburnum plicatum f.tomentosum var. ‘Mariesii’ – my personal favourite within the genus!

DSC_0040Cotinus coggygria ‘Grace’ in the foreground with Cornus alternifolia ‘Golden Shadows’ in front, and Corylopsis spicata  along the right hand frame of the photo provide me with all season interest and comments galore, especially when the Salix integra ‘Hakuro Nishiki’ not included in the photo is in its full glory!

Alas…. I think my hormones are in check! Thanks for humoring me!

2 comments:

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I am never surprised at what comes out of your mouth, tee hee. I was lucky enough to find my own red fox this spring, can't wait till I am back in the fall, I loooove me aome cotton candy! And perhaps another trip to LH!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Gorgeous plants and woodies sweetie!
I do love Golden Showers but have managed to duplicate that lime/gold green with the elderberry I found the year before last .. it is in the corner behind Flame amure maple.
Did you get that intense thunder storm last night ? The rain literally POUNDED the garden .. I have to run a few errands and then have a walk about to clean up the mess ... but at least the garden is fully watered for a while ? LOL
Joy